Addiction is a chronic disease that affects a person’s physical, emotional, and mental health. It changes the way they think, feel, and behave. It changes their relationships with others, particularly family members. Watching a loved one struggle with addiction is one of the most difficult things you can do. It is important for you to know that recovery is possible, with the right treatment program in your path.
Choosing an addiction treatment center is not a decision that should be taken lightly. Simply put, finding the best possible program now can set your loved one up for success down the road. If you are looking for the best addiction treatment for your loved one, there are questions you must ask, considerations you must make, and boxes you must check off, before making your decision. For example, how far will you go for treatment? Do you need a rehab that’s close to home, or are you not limited by state lines? Turnbridge is a Connecticut drug treatment center, with residents from all over the United States.
If you live in New England and are seeking a local and reputable drug treatment center, you are in the right place. Below, we outline how to find the best addiction treatment program in your area. Before you start the process, however, it is important to note one thing:
While a program may boast the “best location” or the “best clinicians,” or even the “best” treatment model, this does not mean that it is, in fact, the best for everyone. Addiction treatment is not one size fits all. Everyone has different experiences, different situations, and different needs in treatment. Some people struggle with mental health disorders and traumatic experiences of their past. Some are dealing with multiple drug addictions or difficult legal situations. Some want to change; some do not want to be there at all. The best addiction treatment will be one that caters to whatever comes their way, that tailors each client’s treatment plan to their individual needs.
As the National Institute on Drug Abuse explains in their principles of effective treatment, “No single treatment is appropriate for everyone… Matching treatment settings, interventions, and services to an individual’s particular problems and needs is critical to his or her ultimate success in returning to productive functioning in the family, workplace, and society.”
As you begin to research different drug rehab centers in New England, ask yourself: What does my loved one need in a treatment program? Which treatment center can best meet their individual needs?
What Should You Look for in a Local Addiction Treatment Program?
There are many types of addiction treatment programs across New England. All have different methods of therapy, program structures, and treatment settings or services. However, the best treatment centers will offer certain qualities and services, which include:
- Individualized and customizable treatment plans for each client, based on age, gender, mental health, drug of choice, and more.
- Gender-specific and age-specific treatment programs, so that clients can relate to one another and build an effective sober network.
- Evidence-based treatment methods that have proven successful in overcoming addiction.
- Dual diagnosis treatment offerings, as mental health and addiction often go hand-in-hand.
- Round-the-clock care in an inpatient treatment setting.
- A safe and supportive environment, away from external pressures and triggers.
- A comfortable healing place, where your loved one can find peace and inspiration.
- A reintegration strategy for clients as they leave treatment, so they can easily transition from rehab back into mainstream society, with a greatly reduced risk of relapse.
- Family support and therapy, as family can be a critical piece of the recovery process.
What Questions Should You Ask an Addiction Treatment Center?
When researching your options, be sure to ask these 10 questions of the rehab center. This will give you an understanding of the services provided, their treatment philosophy, and the type of environment they offer. The answers you receive will also give you a good understanding of whether a program is in fact the best fit for your loved one’s needs. Questions to keep top-of-mind include:
- What is your treatment philosophy, and your approach to treatment?
- How long can I expect my loved one to stay in treatment?
- Is the environment safe and secure? Do clients reside in a comfortable, peaceful environment, or do they stay in a more hospitalized setting?
- What types of addiction therapies are offered?
- Is this a detox program, or a long-term program that teaches sober living skills?
- Are there any academic or vocational support services offered?
- Are there opportunities to have fun and participate in activities with other residents?
- What is the staff to client ratio, and will my loved one get the attention that they need?
Most importantly, ask yourself, “Will my loved one be comfortable – and thrive in – this treatment program?” Think carefully about what he or she needs to be successful, and that will guide you in choosing the best addiction treatment program possible.
Why Should You Look for Addiction Treatment in New England?
As you begin your search for the best addiction treatment center, you may be wondering if you should look locally or look afar. This is a deeply personal decision, and there are benefits to both. Ultimately, it is important to choose what works best for your family. New England is an excellent region to start your search. New England rehab programs offer access to some of the medical and educational institutions in the United States, with top hospitals, universities, and prep schools just a drive away. Some treatment programs in the area take advantage of this. Turnbridge, for example, has close connections with local colleges and universities in New England, which helps ease the application or transition process for our clients attending (or hoping to attend) college.
Not only does New England offer some of the best treatment programs, healthcare facilities, and educational institutions in the world, it also offers some of the best activities for sober fun! While this can affect a person’s treatment stay, it can also affect their life after treatment has ended. New England offers four seasons of fun, along with some of the most bustling, vivid, beautiful, and creative places in the nation. There are museums, hiking trails, sports events, and scenic views (whether mountains or beach sunsets) at every stretch of this locale. This environment sets people in recovery up for plenty of sober and fun activities to stay busy, engaged, happy, and healthy after treatment is complete.
How to Find the Best Addiction Treatment Program Today
Finding the best treatment program, as noted above, means finding a program that will work for your loved one’s unique demands. To start the process, follow these steps:
- Consider your loved one’s situation and personality. Make a list of what you think he or she will need while in a treatment setting.
- Do your research and reach out. Talk to the different admissions teams, at different programs, to determine which can best adhere to your loved one’s needs.
- Ask questions. Don’t choose blindly. Choose a facility that you are fully comfortable with, and that your loved one is comfortable with, too.
- Prepare for the road ahead. Once you know the best addiction treatment center, get ready for the road to recovery. You will play an important role in the treatment process. Research shows that family involvement in addiction treatment can increase a client’s participation in and commitment to treatment, and ultimately improve recovery outcomes. By being there to support your loved one through this journey, you can help them find success.
For more information on choosing the best addiction treatment near you, please do not hesitate to check out our articles below. Or, to learn about Turnbridge’s addiction treatment programs in New England, please do not hesitate to call 877-581-1793 today. Turnbridge is a recognized treatment center with programs for young men, young women, and teens battling addiction and mental health disorders. Our facilities are located in the heart of New Haven, Connecticut, and are designed to inspire all our residents in recovery. Here, we believe success starts with the right treatment setting.